Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Not Sure Where I'm Going, Don't Know Where I've Been?

To start off I thought this story was really creepy. I think that the setting in the second half of the story is important because it sets the mood and shows her solitude well. Connie's character draws the reader in because shes a victim. But it drives the reader crazy because she just won't smarten up and listen to common sense. In the story Joyce Carol Oates seems to be adressing the vunerablity of teenage girls and how easy it is for stalkers to victimize people in this day and age. This story appeals to so many people because we sympathize for her and her stupidity, she is a victim, and we naturally feel bad for the victim no matter how stupid or ignorant they are. After she leaves the house I think she is taken advantage of and then killed, I only think this because I was told the story is inspired by a killer in Arizona. The man is very creepy and disgusting here because he lies about his age, stalks young girls, and takes them away. In our society today I think he represents the number of stalkers in our society today. That is all.




Okay now that I am done ranting about the stalker story. Here is my list of 10 things that I think make a short story great.
  • A strong story line
  • An obvious conflict
  • Characters that are easy to relate to
  • Characters that are unique and not just generalizations of personality types
  • An underlining morale of the story
  • A good choice of words(not too long not too short)
  • Action packed stories
  • Stories with good jokes and punchlines are good too
  • A plot that has alot of surprises as you read
  • Characters that you sympathize with'

Thats my whole list, love it or leave it.

Tyler OUT-

3 comments:

Jamie's Blog said...

I totally agree with you on what you thought about the story. It was really creepy and nerve racking. I agree with your list also and think it's a good list

Megan's Blog said...

I do agree with what you said about the story being creepy, that was for sure. There are stalker people just like him out in this world and people never expect it to happen to them...this story like you said shows how things like this really happen.
I did not think of half the things you suggested in your list. I like those topics too, you are a lot more in depth in your thinking than i am.

Sarah's Blog said...

I also thought this story was SUPER creepy and Connie did act like an idiot. I also agree that he did rape and kill her because I also read about the guy in Arizona. I also like your list, especially the one about stories having good jokes and punchlines : )